We are currently cosponsoring (in partnership with RefugeeOne) a Syrian refugee family that will be arriving in early August.
Here's a bit of background for how we got here. Back in January, our women's small group started the "live justly" (livejust.ly) bible study. Our discussions and experiences were overwhelmingly positive, as we were challenged to pursue biblical justice as a lifestyle.
At Loop Church over the last several months, we have been exploring what are role is in this city and this world... Here is the vision we came up with:
"As followers of Jesus Christ we bless our neighbors in the Chicago Loop and beyond by living out our faith and sharing the love of God. God’s love and blessing overflows through us as we engage in practices like:
- Daily renewal time with God
- Weekly worship and Sabbath-keeping
- Engaging in regular service
- Missional living/hospitality
- Living in love"
As a result of both Loop's newly-defined mission and our recent bible study on pursuit of shalom and biblical justice, we found an opportunity that seems like a tangible way our church community can live in love and show hospitality.
We truly believe that the Spirit had led us to this place and we are excited for the journey. We are excited to learn and be blessed by new friendships.
With that being said, we have three requests:
- Please pray for our church as we mentor the refugee(s), meet them at the airport, prepare them a meal, and try to make them at least a little more comfortable and welcome in our great city. Pray for wisdom.
- Please pray for the refugees we sponsor, the many refugees bound for Chicago and around the world, and the current global refugee crisis.
- Please consider a financial donation of any amount. The organization that we work with -- RefugeeOne -- does so much for refugees and gets a minimal amount from the federal government. As a result, our cosponsorship involves raising $8,000 to support the refugees for 3-6 months, until the refugees are able to learn English and find viable employment.
- If you are interested in providing financial support for the family we'll be receiving, see this link: http://www.refugeeone.org/loopchurch.html